Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 5 - Lemon Cashew Dip

I have been on my cleanse for 5 days and coffee free for 7 days. I cannot believe it. I don't think I have spent more than two consecutive days coffee free since I started grad school in 2004.

Although, I have done cleanses before so that might be a lie.

I've probably just
blocked it out.

In any case, my organic food box arrived yesterday and I picked up a few additional supplies today, so week two of my cleanse is bound to be a bit more interesting than week one.

Today I Ate:

Breakfast
Green Tea

Lunch
Apple Parsnip Soup
Rye Wasa bread topped with peanut butter and honey (yum!)

Snack
Unsweetened, Soy-Milk, Tea Latte (my first trip to "the big green star" in a week, and it was good)
Apple
Dried apricots and cashews

Dinner
Rice crackers with Lemon Cashew Dip (see recipe below)
Salad (lettuce, beets, carrots, sunflower sprouts and hot-smoked honey salmon) with homemade dressing
Blackberry tea with honey
A handful of Chocolate chips (I can't seem to let go of this)

Bottom line: I am feeling pretty good about the cleanse today. I ate well and have more plans for the weekend.

I spent some money, but on necessities only.


Lemon Cashew Dip (Adapted from this recipe by Dreena Burton)

(1) Soak 1.5 cups of raw cashews in water overnight (covered, in the fridge).
(2) After soaking, place cashews in blender and add the rind and juice of one lemon, a scant 1/4 cup of water, salt to taste and pepper to taste.
(3) Puree for 2-3 minutes, scraping down the side of the blender as needed. Add more water 1 teaspoon at a time if required to achieve desired consistency.
(4) Serve with veggies and crackers or spread on bread.
(5) Enjoy!

Lemon Cashew Dip

Lemon Cashew Dip on Wasa Bread with Smoked Salmon

No comments: