After a week of Wasa bread, I now have some ingredients to make my Free and Frugal February a little bit more interesting.
Today I ate:
Oatmeal with maple syrup
Broccoli, carrots and rice crackers with Lemon Cashew Dip
Salt and Vingar Kale Chips
Salad of lettuce, sunflower sprouts, shredded carrots, shredded beets and smoked honey salmon. Homemade dressing.
Coconut Rice Pudding (recipe below)
Coconut Rice Pudding
I adapted this recipe from a "Mango Rice Pudding" I learned at a Thai cooking class with Chef Heidi Fink. This recipe combines some traditional English rice pudding elements with some Thai cooking ingredients.
1.5 cups Sweet Thai Rice (can be found in traditional Thai or Chinese grocery stores)
2 oz Unrefined Palm Sugar (can be found in traditional Thai or Chinese grocery stores)
1 can Coconut Milk
1/2 cup Soy Milk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 pinch Nutmeg
1 pinch Cloves
1 pinch Cardamom
(1) Soak rice in water for at least 3 hours (or overnight) before cooking. Drain.
(2) Steam rice in a bamboo basket or in a steaming basket covered with cheesecloth. Sweet rice should not be submerged in water. Steam, covered, for 40 minutes.
(3) As rice is steaming, combine remaining ingredients in a medium sized pot and combine over medium heat. Once coconut cream and sugar has melted, turn off heat. (Note: you can break up the palm sugar using a hammer or shred it, as I did, on a grater).
(4) When rice has finished steaming, scoop it into the sweet coconut mixture. Stir to combine and allow to sit, covered, for 5 -10 minutes.
(5) Enjoy! This dish is best when eaten immediately, but can be reheated.