Thursday, August 18, 2011

I (heart) Salad

There are two eating seasons for me: (1) salad season and (2) soup season. All fall and winter long, I eat soup almost every day. I love homemade soup. It is so easy and so nutritious. But, by the time spring rolls around, I start thinking that soup is gross and hot and boring and that I. will. never. eat. soup. again. And so, I switch to salad. Salad I find a little more challenging to deal with because it requires fresh veggies (which means more shopping and food preparation), but it does allow me to use food from my own little garden and farmer's market. Usually, I obsess over two or three salads all season long. This year, I started off with a minty spinach and fig salad, moved on to a roasted asparagus, yam and spinach salad and am now all about a shredded veggie, lettuce and smoked salmon salad.

The goods (lettuce, carrots, beets, garbanzo beans, feta, pumpkin seeds).

Made even better with local maple smoked salmon, one of my very favourite foods.

And topped with homemade basil vinaigrette.

What could be better than that?

No comments: