Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Weekend Homemaker

I think I spent about 80% of last weekend in the kitchen. My box of fruit and veggies had arrived on Thursday and needed dealing with. It contained: lettuce, carrots, parsnips, rainbow chard, sunflower sprouts, a lemon, apples, pears, potatoes, onions and beets. I also acquired spinach, basil and white wine (and cheese!) after a pizza night with the girls on Friday. I had to get to work and convert all of my colourful goodness to something edible (and freezable) as soon as possible!

Our pizza night started off with a lovely green salad with lettuce, sprouts, shredded carrots, shredded beets and pumpkins seeds. I always have trouble eating up my lettuce fast enough so I was glad for help! On Saturday morning, I roasted up my favourite Vanilla Pears and then I got to work on the rest:

The Rainbow Chard became . . .




The potatoes where chopped, boiled, tossed in lemon oil, oregano, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven. I don't eat a huge amount of potatoes, but this is my absolute favourite way to eat them when I do!


I used carrots and onion slices as a "rack" to roast a chicken on. Handy and delicious!

The final plate of goodness for dinner on Saturday night: roasted chicken, roast carrots and onions, balsamic chard and roasted potatoes.


On Sunday, I baked buns. This recipe has taken over as my favourite. All yeast bread recipes are pretty much the same so I don't know why this one is so good. It just is. I replaced one cup of white flour with whole wheat flour.


I also made Apple-Parnip Soup (taking care of most of the apples and all of the parsnips).


And I made basil pesto with the leftover pizza basil. This went directly into the freezer.


Last, but not least, I made two chicken casseroles using the leftover chicken from the roast. I made it the first time with spinach (also using up leftover wine and onions) and, it turned out so well, that I made it again with broccoli. This recipe is easy, tasty and super flexible.

At the time, I was wondering if spending almost my whole weekend in the kitchen was really worth it. But now, having spent a week without having to prepare meals, I know that it is. With the addition of frozen borsht and perogies, a few eggs and a couple of bowls of yogurt, I had plenty of food for last week, next week and maybe more.

This weekend? Shopping!

No comments: