Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Weekend Homemaker


I spent almost all of last weekend in the kitchen, cooking and baking my way through my last food box. I know that some people think that spending a weekend in the kitchen is ridiculous, but making food is very relaxing for me. It helps me to reconnect with myself and I eat so much healthier when I give myself this time. Also, a weekend in the kitchen means almost no cooking during the week! Lunches are a snap to prepare and I can get dinner on the table in under 15 minutes.


In my last food box, I received: pears, asian pears, apples, a lemon, carrots, a squash, a pomegranate, tomatoes, broccoli, potatoes and onions.


An onion, some carrots and some potatoes were used along with leftover thanksgiving turkey, lentils, peas and barley to make a turkey soup.


I roasted the squash . . .


And baked it into these lovely squash and pumpkin seed muffins.


I had a delicious snack of pomegranate and asian pear. I love pomegranates! They are a pain to eat, but worth the trouble.


I roasted tomatos. They will be used next weekend in another soup.


I made broccoli soup with the broccoli, an onion and potatoes. This recipe is so easy and dairy free!

Broccoli Soup

1. caramelize one chopped onion in olive oil
2. add one large thinly sliced potato and fry with onions and oil until soft
3. add 8 cups vegetable stock
4. add broccoli (I would say about 4 cups chopped) and bring to a boil
5. simmer until broccoli is soft and then puree with a hand blender
6. season with salt and pepper as desired

So good and so easy!


Lastly, I made my favourite vanilla roasted pears, using up the pears and the lemon. So good with yogurt or oatmeal!

My food boxes have gotten out of sync due to the upcoming Christmas holiday and another box has already arrived. It will be another weekend in the kitchen!

No comments: