When I bought the cornmeal to make polenta, I remembered how much I love cornbread. Especially warm with butter and drizzled with maple syrup.
Unfortunately, this combination is not particularly Weight Watchers friendly. A serving of this treat would probably be 7-10 points, depending on the particulars.
I decided to try to make a light snacking size, perfect for alongside a salad or soup. They turned out perfectly!
Set oven to 400 degrees.
(1) Combine .75 cup of yellow cornmeal and 1.25 cups of soy (or regular) milk in a bowl. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
(2) In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine.
(3) Add .25 cup white sugar, .25 cup vegetable oil, .25 cup unsweetened applesauce and one egg to cornmeal mixture. Stir to combine.
(4) Combine flour and cornmeal mixtures. Stir without over-mixing.
(5) Spoon batter, by the tablespoon, into lightly greased mini muffin tins. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until lightly golden.
Makes 34 mini muffins.
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 1 per mini muffin. WITHOUT the butter and maple syrup! But, still delicious!