Monday, May 7, 2012

Beef Bourguignon Light

I rarely eat beef.  It's a once-a-month kind of food for me.  And, when I do eat it, it is usually for a special meal, out at a restaurant.  But, having had a delicious meal of Beef Bourguignon at Oak Bay Bistro a few months ago, I had been itching to try making it at home.


However, after searching through a few cookbooks, I discovered that Beef Bourguignon's Weight Watchers points (plus) value: 18 - 20 points per serving, depending on the recipe particulars!  Along with the required bread or potatoes, this could easily use up most of my daily points.  Ouch!


So, I set about searching for an alternative version and finally found one, originally published by Weight Watchers.  And, honestly, it's really good!  I served it with mashed sweet potatoes and oven braised greens.

I made two recipe adjustments, replacing the beef broth with organic mushroom broth and replacing the olive oil with two slices of bacon.  While olive oil is certainly healthier than bacon, I didn't think that this flavour element should be compromised.  This did not change the point value per serving.

Beef Bourguignon Light (8 points)
Mashed Sweet Potatoes (3 points)
Oven Braised Greens (1 point, for a little olive oil)

Total = 12 points, for a delicious and hearty meal


1 comment:

Tova said...

I am drooling over here! That looks amazing.