Sunday, July 11, 2010

To Market, To Market



Well, after two months of take out and restaurants, I am finally cooking again! I have decided to forgo my food box for the time being. The Moss Street Market is walking distance from my new place and, while I love my food box, nothing compares to a trip to this market - it is a complete shopping and entrainment experience. Two Saturdays ago, after starting off my trip with a mocha from the Five Corners Cafe and a bag of cinnamon sugared mini donuts, I managed to track down some lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cheese, basil pesto, lavender, white carrots, beets, a cucumber, a pretty blue mug, salmon, a baguette and two delicious unnamed delicacies made with orange fennel brioche and rolled in sugar. Yum!

I returned to the market again yesterday and collected some similar finds (although my favourite pottery maker was not in attendance, probably a good thing!). I did add in some delicious sunflower spouts a new potatoes and eliminated the salmon. I love salmon, but after living next to a salmon spawning stream for several years, I find I have developed a radar for even the slightest of fish decay (salmon spawning streams are VERY smelly places). So, I will be sticking with my friendly fish monger from now on.

I didn't take any pictures of my purchase from yesterday, but I did use my finds (plus a few additional items from the grocery store) to make one of my favourite summer meals, Rice Paper Rolls with Prawns.

It's good to be back in the kitchen again.

No comments: