Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer


Ahhhhh . . . .

My renovations are almost complete, I've unpacked all of my boxes and I have returned from a lovely, but exhausting, adventure on the East Coast. I feel like I am starting to breathe again after the chaos of the last few months. To celebrate this, and the arrival of summer, I have decided to eat as many berries as I can over the next few months. For what signals lazy times more than the preparation and munching of little juicy morsels of bliss?

My berry extravaganza begins with strawberries!

I bought a whole flat of beautiful June berries grown right here on the island.

Then I made jam. Mmmmmm.

My goal is to make 12 jars so that I can have one per month throughout the year. I've made 6 and already polished off one. I am not quite sure how my plan will work out!

Next, I made Strawberry Shortcake. The real kind. Not the spongy weird stuff from the grocery store.

So, so good.


And, of course, I had to make crepes. For what is life without crepes?


And, lastly, I finished the strawberry festivities off with some scoops of vanilla bean ice cream, my strawberry jam and some freshly chopped strawberries. What could be better?

I went through more than a flat of strawberries in less than a week and will be headed back out to the berry farm to pick up some more tomorrow.

No comments: