Friday, January 29, 2010

The Food Box Chronicles


Ooops, I forgot to take a picture of my complete food box this time around and I can't remember everything I got. However, I am sure that it contained (at the very least) apples, pears, bananas, sweet potatoes, turnips, onions, swiss chard, garlic and potatoes.

I had planned to make pasta with kale pesto, but when swiss chard arrived as a replacement, I ended up with swiss chard pesto instead. Definitely different than traditional basil pesto, but a good use for those greens!


I also made my ever-favourite Botanical Burgers. However, in this case, I replaced the beets with sweet potatoes. This worked out pretty well although I think I prefer the beet version for the texture the beets provide. Regardless, this recipe helped me to use up my sweet potatoes, turnips, onions and some potatoes. I added some baked potato fries on the side.

Lastly, my best new recipe find was Vanilla Roasted Pears from Smitten Kitchen (love this site!). These pears make a delicious dessert or healthy treat. I even used them on top of french toast for breakfast. I foresee myself making these with every pear delivery (in fact I've already made them again!). Yum!

No comments: