Sunday, June 3, 2012

Soft Tacos

I've decided that soft tacos are going to be my food of the summer for 2012.  Flexible, healthy and oven-free, they are the perfect hot-weather food (not that I've had to worry about that . . . yet).

Tacos can be as light or as decadent as you wish, making them a winner for someone counting their Weight Watchers points.  They are also the ideal food for picky eaters and parties as everyone can pick and choose to suit their own dietary needs.

My current favourite combo:

* 3 (30 gram) corn tortillas - 5 points
* 45 grams baked pinto beans with onions and spices - 1 point
* 30 grams Greek yogurt - 1 point
* 80 grams roasted sweet potato cubes - 2 points
* 1 mango - 0 points
* A handful of cilantro - 0 points

A delicious, filling meal.  All for 9 points.



My other favourite toppings include: shredded chicken, Pico de Gallo and cheese but, really, the options are endless.  

7 comments:

june said...

Love tacos. Are you making your own corn tortillas?

here's our current fave... chile shrimp tacos with citrus guacamole. The guac is made with 1 avocado, 1 grapefruit peeled & segmented, 1/4 cup green onion, juice of 1 lime, and garlic to taste. Then saute the shrimp with chile powder & some more green onions and ... mmmmmmmmmm. Don't know about the points but it's 330 calories for 2 tacos!

Melissa said...

Nope, Tova's the taco queen. I just pick mine up at the Saturday market that happens down the street from me - there is a taco stand right next to a salsa stand!

Your recipe sounds delish although avocado and I do not get along :( The Spot Prawns are in season right now though and I think they'd make an excellent taco!

Tova said...

Oooohhh, now I know what to make this week for dinner. I made a chipotle fish taco with a side of coleslaw (vinaigrette, not sweet mayo) and it was a winner with everyone here. Thanks for the reminder.

@June, your guac sounds amazing.
@ Melissa, love the combo of ingredients in your post. And buying the soft shells is much easier...

june said...

ok I would probably not make my own if I had a taco stand at the market either!!

Melissa said...

Shout out for Tortilleria Monterrey: http://tortilleriamonterrey.wordpress.com/ !!!! Although, I should note that the blue corn tortillas shown here are not from TM as they sold out before I could buy any!

June said...

ok I've got another one for you... tilapia (grilled or whatever and broken into chunks), shredded lettuce or cabbage, 1/2 c greek yogurt combined with 1/4 c lime juice as a sauce, and fresh salsa. DEEE licious.

Melissa said...

Yum! I might try that one next weekend :)